Tuesday, September 26, 2023

My Last (And I Mean It) Protracted Conversation With A Seattle/King County Taxi Regulator---Perceived Wrongdoings And Other Issues & Who WantsTo Be Treated Like This? & The PediCab Experience & Wild Little Park In Seattle & Quick Seattle Street Quiz: Where Is This Intersection?

 I Am Done Talking

Last Monday I had a nearly 1 1/2 hour telephone conversation with a local taxi regulator, someone who sincerely believes he has the best interests of the industry at heart.  But there is one thing I do know for sure.  As nice as he is, he's too far removed from taxi, having never driven a cab, to fully comprehend it.  I know that he and other City of Seattle and King County regulators will deny this, but  sorry folks, my 35 plus years in the business tells me otherwise.  I have mentioned this before in the past but Doctors regulate Doctors, Engineers regulate Engineers simply because no one else truly understands their field of work and study.  Since taxi driving is misunderstood, and not appreciated for the industrial science it is, government has decided it isn't necessary to involve drivers and owners who know what is best for the industry.  

Concerning the new pending ordinances, making it worse is government's insistence on consulting political entities like Teamsters Local 117, listening to those who, while well-meaning, are clueless to the reality and needs of taxi owner/operators.  Local 117 for instance has convinced the Seattle Mayor that it is a great idea to cap all association/dispatch company revenue at 10%, even though no one can operate at that level of funding.  

As many know, I am not a great fan of how Puget Sound Dispatch (Seattle Yellow Cab) is run but putting a false cap on their revenue stream will only result in their demise.  15 to 17% is a more realistic operational expectation.  More than once I have been asked by owner/operators to create a new taxicab association but it can't be financed "out-of-thin-air."  There must be a viable revenue stream.  Otherwise, PSD and any other potential association simply will not exist.  Then what will the drivers do?  They will drive for Uber, that's what they will do.  

Getting back to last Monday's conversation, we talked about the high cost of insurance and how it impacts taxi drivers.  He reminded me that Uber pays for the insurance when the drivers are in "real service mode," with a passenger on board, meaning their insurance costs more-or-less matches what the taxi industry pays.  

But for Seattle Uber drivers, that cost never personally impacts them.  While yes, Uber takes 25-40 % of each fare but when the driver is taking home $30-50.00 per hour, he/she doesn't care, Uber can earn what they want as long as money rolls in for the driver.  Do I have to repeat it again, that the Seattle cabbie must first earn $18,000 before they make a dime?  

One of my biggest disagreements last Monday centered upon the proposal that all complaints will be handed directly through the City and County, this while not allowing the driver to immediately challenge the allegation.  What this kind of process does is hold the driver hostage to whatever has been said about him or her.  I know all about these kinds of allegations because, over the course of 35 plus years I have been falsely accused of theft, of physical abuse, sexual abuse and other improprieties, none of which happened. 

I never have forgotten the complaint filed by a HopeLink passenger because I didn't take Montlake Blvd northbound to NE 65th, the allegation taking over a month to resolve.  One part of this is, since the fare was a flat-rate, the passenger was not negatively impacted by my chosen route.  And why did I decide to take 15th NE instead of Montlake?  Because that stretch of Montlake was closed in both directions due to CONSTRUCTION.  Though I told the passenger that, he still complained.  Welcome to taxi as it really is, which is why no one other than cabbies themselves should be making rules governing their industry. 

Anyway, I am bowing out of any further involvement.  I have had enough of the never ending nonsense.  It is driving me insane.  Enough. 

Calling me "Dad"

I realize I don't even want to describe all the details of foolishness regarding a simple ride from the Viewridge neighborhood to Ballard.  Somehow, our ages came up in conversation, and finding out I was merely one year older he was, the male customer became strangely mocking, twice saying, "Okay Dad! Goodbye Dad!"  Was it because he looked years older than me?  Or that his hair had gone completely white?  Who knows but his underlying aggression was uncalled for.  This is how drivers are treated.  Ain't it fun?

Pedicab Drivers Making $$$

Sunday, a pedicab driver walked up to my car and said, "I read your blog."  Turns out he once drove for Orange Taxi.  We got to talking, with him telling me that during the Cruise Ship season, he is sometimes making $500.00 a day.  His general average on Seahawk football days is over $300.00.  I asked how all that pedaling impacted him?  His quick answer was "I now have an electric bike."   Good for him.  Given that winter is coming, he's thinking of driving a cab again.  I advised to try the airport.  That's where he will find a cab to drive and nowhere else.  As we all know, the business has changed, and not for the good. 

North Beach Natural Area

Near the intersection of 24th NW & NW 90th, you will find this small greenbelt transformed into a local park.  What is amazing is that in the midst of all of the surrounding houses, it is a wild place where your shoes will get muddy.  Suddenly, the trail takes you into a kind of wilderness.  Try it out.  It's on the west side of 24th NW.  Look for the nearby school. 

Okay, Taxi Whizzes! Where is the Intersection of NW Culbertson Drive & Sherwood Road NW?

If anyone knows this right off the taxi bat, please leave me a comment.  Seattle has many hidden streets and this locale is one that is new to me.  How did I find it?  In the past, I have talked about favorite city parks, and Llandover Woods, located at NW 145th & 3rd NW, is somewhere I have been walking for years now.  But what I haven't done until recently was walk directly west out of the park, ending up on what is Sherwood Road NW.  It is bordered to the north by a greenbelt extending nearly to the Puget Sound.  By continuing to walk, the street bends a bit southwest, taking you to the above mentioned intersection.  Right off Sherwood is a ten-foot long trail taking you to a creek.  It is special.  Stop and park your cab in the parking lot off of 3rd NW and begin walking.  Stretch those taxi legs!  And you will be glad you did.  






No comments:

Post a Comment