Friday, September 8, 2023

Driving Taxi Is A Terrible Existence & Brief iCabbi Update---Do Not Wonder Why Uber Won The Battle & Is King County Picking On Eastside-For-Hire?

The Body Say It All: Driving Taxi Ain't No Fun

I should have written this last Sunday after working the first University of Washington Husky college football game of the season.  Of course I was driving an Uber shift but my body doesn't care what I call it because its complaint is the same: why are you doing this to me?  Yes, I made money, and as I have repeatedly said, I have always made good money driving taxi, and now Uber.  Of course, when I was 10-20 years younger, the negative effects of dumbbell passengers, idiot drivers, a gasoline-polluted workplace, along with working 12-22 hour-long shifts didn't impact as it does now.  But the overall compelling taxi reality is everyone is treated little better than a Dalit, more commonly known as an untouchable.  And it at times I wished I was, in another sense, truly "untouchable," having endured poking, grabbing and an in general molestation that was and remains unacceptable. Do I believe that all my years driving beneath the toplight was justifiable?  No, is my simple response. And my body wholeheartedly agrees. 

A 50/50 Split 

Talking to someone who knows, I was told half of the drivers appreciate the new iCabbi system, embracing its money-making features, with the other 50 % not so happy.  Why?  Because its preventing them from cheating, as many drivers registered false no-shows and other shenanigans designed to thwart the system, ripping off their fellow cabbies.  Why, surprise, surprise, many will have to actually be honest, even though it's against their criminal nature.  What these taxi clowns never understood is their behavior opened up the door to Uber and Lyft.  Who killed the American taxicab industry?  We did.

King County and Eastside-for-Hire: An Ensuing Argument

For the past few years,  King County Regulators have been on Eastside-for-Hire's butt, claiming they owe the County money, that they haven't filed proper paperwork, etc.  The reality, as I wrote a few days ago to the one KC Taxi/TNC/ For-hire regulator I know well, is that, since the COVID-19 pandemic, Eastside exists in name only beyond any other pretense.  The reason is simple.  The vast majority of the Eastside owner/operators stopped paying their association dues months if not years ago, creating the empty shell that is Eastside.  Still, despite this, many Eastside drivers continue to work Sea-Tac Airport as if they are legal entities, which they are not, riding free and easy due to King County and the Port of Seattle's indifference.   

This is what I recommended to the KC official, outlining one of three choices.  One, insist that they pay all their back association dues to Eastside.  Two, if not wanting to do that, they must join another association.  Or three, if they don't take one of these two steps, their medallions will be suspended.  

Of course, this will get everyone's immediate attention.  No more playing games with minor criminals.  Also, ending the various attacks directed at Eastside.  In other words, suddenly, everyone might start to become more serious, understanding there would be consequences to their behavior.  How novel a concept!




  








No comments:

Post a Comment