Sunday, August 6, 2023

Uber In The News: For One Quarter They Show A Profit & Uber Surge Surprises CEO & New I-5 Northbound Third Lane At Seneca Street & New Colman Dock (Pier 52) Terminal Is Now Open & A Night Out With The South Sudanese Community & Seahawk Pre-Season Beginning This Upcoming Thursday & iCabbi Training Schedule In Current PSD Online Newsletter

Uber Making $$$ and Charging You the Customer more

For the first time since its inception in 2009, namely in 14 years, Uber has finally turned a quarterly profit, reporting it made $326 million from $9.23 billion posted revenue.  Good news for Uber but the bad news for Uber passengers is that rates have increased 50% from a year ago.  On the profit news, Uber's stocks declined in value.  Oh well, you can't make everyone happy.  Especially the greedy a-holes gambling on Wall Street. 

"Oh my god!" was Uber's CEO Dara Khosrowshahi's response

Wired Magazine editor Steven Levy took a Manhattan Uber ride 2.9 miles long to meet up with the Uber CEO.  When asked to guess how much the ride cost, Khosrowshahi guessed $20.00.  Wrong.  The fare was $51.69.  But what I want know is, how much did the driver get?  Now that's important. 

Driving Northbound on I-5 Through DT Seattle Is Suddenly Easier

Something correct has finally occurred with local highway infrastructure, with the very recent opening of a third northbound lane I-5 at Seneca Street.  Drivers can now easily exit upon westbound Seneca without getting tangled up with those proceeding north.  It is a great improvement.  Bravo! 

New DT Ferry Terminal and Dock now open

In all my decades driving taxi, one destination above all stood out, having delivered more passengers to the Pier-52 Bainbridge Island/Bremerton ferry dock than any other transportation terminus.  More than Sea-Tac airport.  More than the King Street Amtrak train station.  More than the Greyhound Bus terminal.  How many times I've had to rush passengers down the road to avoid missing their ferry is beyond remembering.   Given that reality, I am pleased, that after four years of construction, the new ferry terminal is now ready for the hordes traveling across Elliot Bay.  I have yet to see what they have done to accommodate drop-offs and pick-ups but I will provide a report as soon as I see it for myself.   I am hopeful.

It Was Both Special and an Honor

Last night, Saturday August 5th, I attended a South Sudanese graduation party as the guest of my taxi buddy, James, originally from South Sudan.  Despite a late start, it was a great success, with the pot luck banquet especially delicious.  While enjoying stuffing myself with unfamiliar dishes, the highlight of the evening was a circular dance performed by the colorfully dressed older ladies, round and round they went commemorating the teenaged high school graduate.  Also special was a long prayer said before the meal began.  Truly a wonderful experience. 

The festive evening took me back to my two years (1964-66)  in Fort Chipewyan, Alberta, Canada, remembering the often warm hospitality I received from the native Cree, my friend Bobby's mother serving me piping hot bannock along with beaver, muskrat, moose and buffalo.  During our last months there, the Cree invited me and my father to participate in a "tea" dance, tramping thorough the snow in a circular procession, happy, similar to last night, to be included, not as an outsider but as a trusted friend.  I repeat, what an honor it was in 1966, and now, once again in 2023.  

Sporting Events are of the Utmost Importance for Making $$$

Yes, the Seahawk NFL season is coming up, with Thursday's first pre-season game of the year beginning at 7:00 PM.   Who is the opponent I neither know nor care but I will be there working the maddening crowds.  You too should make an appearance.  

Also, in less than a month from now, the University of Washington college football season begins with a home game on Saturday, September 2nd, at 12:55 PM.   The Husky Football stadium has a seating capacity of over 73,000, meaning it is always a good place to catch a fare during halftime and toward a game's conclusion.   Rah Rah, go Huskies!

Puget Sound Dispatch iCabbi Training this week

Don't miss it, the training beginning tomorrow morning.  The more you know about the new system, the more money you'll make.  Obvious but many do not immediately grasp what should be easy.  Check out the online schedule posted in the current PSD newsletter.  Good luck with the new system.    





No comments:

Post a Comment