Monday, May 25, 2020

Local Novel Coronavirus Threat Not Over & Taxi Association Due Process & Travis Kalanick Taxi Quote & Dennis Roberts Fund Raising Update

The longer I continue driving during this period of pandemic, the more trepidation I feel, thinking I am very foolish putting myself in harm's way.  King County continues to have 60 new confirmed coronavirus cases daily while statewide the confirmed rate is 200 confirmed new cases, which appears to mean that perhaps as many as 2000-3000 people are still being infected each and every day.  Simple math then tells me I must be encountering passengers who are carrying the virus.  This is not reassuring, to say the least. Statewide the virus death toll is reaching 1,100, and nationwide the toll is now about 100,000 COVID-19 victims.  Worldwide, over 350,000 people have died from the virus.  Yes, business is very good, especially since we have maybe 70 cabs operating at any one time. Yesterday, Sunday night, it seemed like we had maybe 10-20 as it was too busy to keep up with the volume, tiring me out and quitting for the night despite bells waiting.  And as I mentioned last week, the work environment remains crazy, with deranged passengers following one after the other.  Last night this guy kept giving me money even after I told him the $60.00 already provided more than enough, ending up getting $120.00 for a $40.00 fare, it just not making any sense.  Yes, yes, yes, welcome to taxi!

Above the Law?

I for one fully understand why PSD (Yellow) is frustrated by cab driver antics but as I keep telling PSD, where is the legal permission for instantaneous punishment?  Lately there has been an increase  in drivers dumping fares or rolling their meters, which is something not to be done, leaving passengers stranded, wondering "where in the heck is my taxi?"  For as long as I can remember, Seattle-area taxi associations have punished drivers for various offenses minus any due process, meaning no formal charging, no fair hearing, no appeal process and no legal representation.  As is obvious, someone charged with a crime in a normal setting are not treated like this, are allowed to plead "not guilty" and given a jury trial.  Also, the crime, regardless of the seriousness, is considered alleged until final judgement is made.

In PSD's last newsletter, it is stated, that after one warning for dumping or rolling the meter, all additional infractions will result in a three-day suspension from all accounts.  As I am implying, there are many potential problems with this kind of summary action, most especially is that these violations have never been listed on any PSD documents stating you can't do this or that and signed as part of the lease agreement.  If this document exists, I don't remember seeing it.

And again, I have asked repeatedly for legal State and Federal documentation providing taxi associations the permission to skip normal legal procedures.  Since they have never been provided, I can only assume they do not exist.  And by stating in the newsletter what PSD will be doing to offending drivers, PSD potentially opens itself to to legal scrutiny and future legal actions.

As I have said repeatedly, training is the answer, not punishment.  We receive training for Metro and Hopelink accounts.  We receive training before allowed to transport students.  And we received training about to how to use the new MTI dispatch system.  Isn't it time these guys receive some much needed training on how to be a PROFESSIONAL CABBIE?

Clearly it is time for this to happen, and as I have offered previously, I would assist in creating the curriculum.  Let's do this right or not at all.

Travis Kalanick 2014

This is what Uber's founder said:

We're in a political campaign, and the candidate is Uber, and the opponent is an asshole named Taxi."

Nice, isn't it?

The Seattle Taxi Industry Needs to Step Up and Fund Dennis Roberts' Burial and Obituary Costs

Maybe it's my fault with being too damn busy but I am telling you folks, the about $550.00 committed so far will do little expect pay for cremation costs and not much else.  My wish is to have Dennis's remains buried in a local cemetery topped by a marker or gravestone.  I also want to have a Seattle Times obituary for Dennis.  The obituary is not cheap, with first lines costing between $137.00-164.00, with each additional line costing between $102.00-$129.00.  Photos cost between $153.00-$193.50.  I am guessing the burial cost will be about $3000. or more.

As you can see, we are not anywhere close to covering these costs.  Maybe the issue is trust, that potential donors think I will be running off with the money.  No, what will happen will be an itemized list of everything spent.  Any remaining funds would be donated to Seattle Children's Hospital.

During these next two weeks, I will be making a big push to collect additional funds.  Please, I implore you, let's send off Dennis in dignity and grace, his memory and past service deserving that.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/burial-and-obituary-for-dennis-roberts

Hello Handsome?

Last night a short RT fare turned into absurdity when my passenger, a hooker, walks up to this guy standing at the gas station, says "Hello handsome!" while simultaneously hugging him.  The only problem was, how could she tell, his face covered by a mask!?






















No comments:

Post a Comment