Saturday, February 5, 2022

Greetings Once Again From San Francisco International Airport: Desperation And Greed Are A Poor Cabbie Prescription & Earning Nine Dollars A Day Building General Motors Trucks & Two Journalists Killed In Tijuana

 Part of my Goal Writing these Weekly Snippets 

One of my primary goals writing this blog has been to share news and experiences you would not find elsewhere unless spending your livelong day scouring the internet and newspapers for all the news and information this world has to offer.  By concentrating upon taxi, and sometimes focusing on where I am or have recently been, in this instance Mexico, I hope to provide you with subjects hopefully capturing your attention and interest, and even better, sparking further exploration and investigation, and dare I suggest, personal enhancement.  I say this because my intent is purposeful, to expand and teach what I think should be known, understood and appreciated.  Yes, taxi is the subject but taxi also might be be considered the metaphor and simile, rhyme and rhythm embracing the heart and soul of our shared lives, taxi that bright top-light beckoning a journey through the sky to unknown heavens.  Or shall I say, something like that. 

Sitting, Eating and Writing from San Francisco

No problem with customs coming through, everything smooth, and while eating some good organic pizza at the airport, I will hopefully quickly finish this before I am off to Seattle, where a taxi buddy, YC 296 will be picking me up at Sea-Tac.  "She-who-can't-be-named" flew out ahead of me, first Houston, San Francisco, then Arcata.  We both had negative COVID-19 tests at the Mazatlan airport, allowing us to board our flights instead of remaining captive in Mexico.

Those Troublesome Polmonia Drivers

Wednesday was the last day we needed something other than foot transport but unfortunately we encountered four polmonias (open-air taxis) who were attempting to extract a "gringo surcharge" instead of treating us like ordinary customers, having to wave them away.  As there are over 3000 of these guys cruising the city, there will always be one who is willing to charge correctly, and of course I always tip.  While there are more tourists this time around from my previous visit, business still hasn't returned to previous levels, making it a bit stupid to pass up money in hand.  But I have encountered this kind of taxi ignorance around the world, and I doubt this kind of behavior will disappear any time soon.  Too many of my taxi brothers in Seattle are also idiots, overcharging and ripping off passengers.  What is their excuse?  Our business is great!

For Shame, General Motors

At the Mexican GM plant in the city of Silao, state of Guanajuato, where they make Chevy and GMC pickup trucks, the starting wage is $9.00 a day.  Yes, that's correct.  After ten years, they are earning $23.00 per day.  Average wage for American GM employees?  $23.00 per hour with many making $36.00 an hour.  Breaking news is that this plant just authorized a new union that will fight for higher wages.  They even have to fight for lavatory breaks.  Not cool.

Killing Journalists in Mexico

Three more were murdered.  Nine last year.  Given my big mouth, they would kill me too.  Again, not cool nor reasonable.  Here in America they only insult you.  Bad but not fatal.  




1 comment: