Friday, April 23, 2021

Adios San Lorenzo: 1938 TaxiCab & Trouble Brewing For Uber In Africa And Las Vegas, Nevada & Two Poems

Sorry to say I am leaving sunny New Mexico for the grind that is taxi.  Sleeping in has been great, along with my daily walks in the desert.  On Tuesday I headed to the Gila River and the Gila Wilderness to enjoy a little quiet and the vast open night sky.  I was lucky to find a free campsite located next to the flowing Gila, making my journey just that much better.  Wednesday I visited the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument, established 1908, and later walked to the Lightfeather Hot Springs located on the middle-fork of the Gila.  While the pools were small, the water was great, a temperature at about 103-104 degrees F.  If there was a drawback, it was having to ford the river two times two, meaning Mister Lazy Me had to take off my shoes four times coming and going.  Since the water was fairly shallow, all I had to really contend with were the tenderfeet of a tenderfoot, stones and rocks reminding me that despite thinking I am "pure spirit' I indeed have a fragile body requiring care and consideration.  Tomorrow, Saturday, I fly out in the early evening. 

1938 Taxi; "Story Pictures of Our Neighbors" By John Y. Beaty

As much as possible I like to present original content, and I am guessing that this little book I found in my San Lorenzo house, book owned by my friend Marty, is something new to everyone reading this post.  The author and his wife were close family friends to Marty's great grandparents. The book is part of the "Primary Social Studies Series" published in 1938 by Beckley-Cardy out of Chicago.  The color plates are wonderful, and the photograph and text on page 99 immediately captured my attention.   The photo shows an uniformed cabbie opening the door of what I think is a new Yellow Checker Cab, for his customer.  The cab door swings opens from left to right as opposed to the now usual right to left.  

The page is entitled "Taxicabs"

"Taxicabs go very fast, too," said Jean.

"Yes," said Father.  They are for people who want to reach places quickly.  Taxis will take you wherever you want to go."

Lloyd asked, "Would you give the driver ten cents for each of us?"

Father laughed.  "More than that.  The longer the ride, the more you pay.  A taxi ride may cost a dollar or more."

___________________________________________________________

Yes, "Dick and Jane and Spot" kind of language but hey! it is a rare children's book that addresses taxi driving.  I looked up the car and if it isn't a 1938 model, it is certainly of that 1930s era.  Taxi ride for a dollar?  Not in Seattle.

Uber in Ghana, South Africa and Nevada

Uber drivers in Africa are expressing discontent since the British Supreme Court ruled that ride-share drivers in the UK are eligible for some basic benefits. Now many of Africa's over 150,000 Uber drivers want the same treatment as their UK colleagues.  Cases are heading to the courts.

In Las Vegas, Uber is only able to serve 50% of current ride requests. Why?  Even though many tourist are returning to Sin City, former Uber drivers are not.  One major reason is that the current governor of Nevada has put an order in place forbidding Uber's infamous "fare surging" from occurring, the good governor stopping Uber's thieving ways.  Uber is now telling all its drivers it has a bonus pool of 250 million from which it is willing to pay returning drivers.   Ain't that generous, Uber continuing to spend investor money!?  When will it end?

Two Poems

All I Hear

All I hear is the Gila River and nothing else.

Even the crows making roost are silent, only the Gila's voice talking 

to me and the trees and the surrounding hills,

a conversation soothing, embracing. 

__________________________________________________

Involved in a Silly Book, Reading John Buchan's "Mr Standfast"

WWI wasn't silly but Buchan's war spy romp through Scotland

and the Continent is---too much highly unlikely coincidence--- 

Buchan's characters suddenly reappearing from the ether marring 

a plot first published 1919 the year of my mother's birth,

and this edition reprinted 1953, the year I appeared wailing

"I want to read a book!"

and here I sit,  sixty-seven years later, 

reading.   

____________________________________

Giving the author Buchan his due, after all the spy stuff concluded, I found I was reading a very accurate portrayal of WWI fighting in the trenches.  That alone is worth the book.  While the spy drama is fast moving, the last 30 or so pages take a life of their own.  Wilfred Owen would approve I am sure, Owen the great poet of WWI who died during the last month of the conflict, November 1918.  Check out his poetry.  It is very good!  Also, Robert Graves autobiography of his times in that war, "Goodbye to All That."

A Seattle/King County Taxi Question Answered

A reader asked if this is the last year for the Ford Crown Victorias to be used as taxis?  and I am glad to say no, they have been given one more year of life until June 2022 by the City of Seattle and King County. Of course that makes me happy because trusty YC 1092 is an afore  mentioned Crown Vic.  Keep on rollin', rolling', taxi rawhide.








 


 





1 comment: