Saturday, June 20, 2020

Calling For Real And Verifiable Cabbies To Step Forward: Where Are You?

During these challenging times for the world in general, and for taxi in particular, I've become too aware of many drivers acting the fool, tossing their professionalism, meaning our customers, out of the cabbie window, either allowing passengers to wait hours for a cab, or worse, not showing up at all, creating real dilemmas for the stranded, mystified callers.  Last Wednesday I came upon two passengers at Pier 5, Matson Lines, who had been waiting over an hour in Zone 260. The lady called at 1:20 PM to reach her 2:20 Amtrak train to Eugene, Oregon.  I arrived at exactly 2:20 PM, meaning, however she was getting home, it wouldn't be by train.  The other passenger was heading to a Sea-Tac area hotel.  Desperate, the Eugene-bound passenger decided she had to fly home, translating into a $180.00 one-way fare.  And, as I found out later, all this was caused by drivers in the area intentionally ignoring the calls, leaving it to me to repair the damage done by others. That I got a total of $70.00 is not the point because both customers were deeply impacted by poor driver performance, something, I am sure, influencing any possible future choice of transportation options.

And unfortunately, this kind of scenario has become too commonplace since the pandemic hit, with most of Seattle and King County's 1200 cabs remaining parked to at least the end of July.  One might think that the remaining 50-60 Yellow cabs actively working would comprehend the current situation and respond accordingly but bad habits, combined with a general distain for taxi driving, has brought us to something I am too familiar: chaos, anarchy and indifference.  As I suggest in this week's title, will anyone recognize what needs to be done and actually do it minus hesitation and question?  I know the answer, and anyone deeply knowledgable concerning the cab industry knows it too, the scoundrels ain't gonna do anything, no, nothing at all except complain to high heaven when all the cabs are back working and business reduced to a fraction. Yes, that's it, sorry but true, boo hoo hoo!

Taxi Cab Repair Blues

My faithful 2011 Ford Crown Victoria has begun to display the wear and tear of 300,000 miles, requiring a transmission rebuild, repairing the one I put in 22 months ago.  Making it even more troublesome is that the rebuild wasn't complete, meaning back to shop it goes on Monday costing yet more lost time upon the road, and leaving me to limp along this weekend knowing I would have to refuse a long fare.  I am now in the process of looking for a replacement car, yes, time and money is certainly not sweetness and honey!

Dennis Roberts Funding Plea Flyer

The following text is something now tacked to the Puget Sound Dispatch office bulletin board.  That I am disheartened by the overall response can't be understated.  Just as the local cabbies are mostly oblivious to passenger concerns, it seems they are inured to the tragedy that is Dennis's passing from the coronavirus.  Will this last plea wake people up?  I have no idea but try I will and try I might, never, never saying no or giving up the fight!

The Flyer:

"As many of you know, our taxi colleague, Dennis Roberts, YC 464, died from COVID-19 on April 9th, 2020, found dead and alone in his room by the SPD.  I find this a tragedy not only for Dennis but also for all of us who drive taxi and shared his life and world. I started a gofundme account for Dennis over 6 weeks ago with the intention of providing him with a burial and formal obituary. I have about $800.00 but I could use considerably more. This is where you come in.  I need you to donate.  I have personally donated $100.00 but whatever you can afford will be helpful.  Also please access my taxi blog and read the obituary I wrote for Dennis.  Thank you."

Joe Blondo YC 1092. 206-778-0226

http://realseattletaxi.blogspot.com/

https://www.gofundme.com/f/burial-and-obituary-for-dennis-roberts

"We have two more weeks to donate before the Medical Examiners Office takes over. By July 9th, all burial arrangements must be made."

HELP DENNIS ROBERTS GET THE PROPER SEND OFF HE DESERVES!"

_____________________________________________________________________________

I also emailed the NYC Taxi Union, requesting that they ask their sizable membership to help.  Nothing so far.   All I can say, given my limited time, this is the best I can do.


1 comment: