Wednesday, September 18, 2024

A Taxi Dream & King County Licensing's Difficulties

A Dream this Morning

I should have written it down sooner, this vivid dream of driving my cab, with barely any time to spare and I was off to Europe but first I had this fare to serve before I could go.  Everything was fine, and even a Seattle freeway entrance ramp new to me magically appeared, allowing a quick arrival to my passenger's destination, an address I knew because this passenger is someone in waking reality I know well, his usual routine a roundtrip from 6th Ave S and Yesler Way to the Broadway and Union QFC.  

In the dream, we were talking about the fare, no, forty not enough, sixty no, how about eighty dollars? a kind of funny, unusual conversation with an odd, difficult passenger I always tried to avoid because his fussiness was maniacal, not sane, his grip unrelenting.  Now here I have him residing in my dreaming hours, not quite haunting, this time generous.  And did I make it to my flight in time?  I think so, flying off into the sky far, far away from that nightmarish land that is Taxi.  And madness.  And everything else I wish I had avoided. 

A Friend's Telephone Call this Morning

alerted me to a dilemma of him being told by King County Licensing that, according to them, his six months driving Uber/Lyft didn't exist, so "sorry" you're out of luck, but Uber/Lyft  "said they sent you the paperwork" but no, we don't see it.  Turns out my friend, who is driving TNC because his taxi was destroyed by some reckless fool in January, confused King County by remaining an actively licensed medallion holder.  Or something like that.  

I made some telephone calls.  Sent some emails, one not completely nice and, praise the Taxi! not the Uber gods, I got a positive email in response and my friend a productive telephone call saying "Come on down tomorrow, we got it figured out."  That he lost 1 1/2 weeks of income of Seahawk football and other prime opportunities is something that cannot be retrieved.  I could say more but I am tired.  Yesterday I hiked for five straight hours.  Today I walked 2 1/4 hours in the Black Range.  I think I am getting into some kind of basketball shape.  Watch out fellas, I am ready to raise hell on the court!



No comments:

Post a Comment