Thursday, August 8, 2024

Very Unhealthy Taxi

Since Leaving Taxi, I Have Dropped 20 Pounds

My normal adult weight has been about 155 pounds.  Toward the end of my cab driving days, I weighted nearly 200 pounds or even beyond that, underlining how unhealthy of an occupation it is.  And it isn't that I was chomping down cheeseburgers or not exercising.  I eat lots of fresh vegetables and usually walk 1-2 miles daily.  Still, given what taxi is, none of my efforts were good enough.  Unfortunately, other issues also came up, telling me it was time to quit. 

Back in 2018 when I still had my Tacoma, Washington condominium, I was making a once a week 60 mile roundtrip commute that encompassed nearly nine years.  Added to my monthly 5000 miles in the cab, my body began objecting, my liver, kidneys, abdomen and urinary tract telling me they were no longer happy with what I was doing, the stress of too many hours in the cab weakening my usually strong body.  Part of the issue was my cab driving style.  To call me relentless is apt, pushing the taxi envelope each weekend with 20-22 hour long days.  I made the big money but it was obviously killing me.  Even with taking Monday through Fridays off, and getting plenty of sleep, it wasn't enough to counteract the physical reality of beating myself to death. 

After selling my condo, I moved back into Seattle but that wasn't enough to counteract the damage already done.  In a real sense, I was continually re-patching the worn out tire that was my body.  It wasn't something that could continue.  And after I sold my medallion, and sampled the world that is Uber, the results were the same.  I made great money but my body kept asking me, "What the hell are you doing to me?"

Now that I am no longer in Seattle, and living in a very rural setting, the advantages are many.  There is no traffic, no noice, no gunshots, no road rage.  Unless I need to go into Silver City for shopping, which is 25 miles west of me on State Route 152, usually my miles are confined to my favorite walking area nine miles away down on road on NM State Highway 35.  It is a straight shot, taking me through farmland to the Nature Conservancy Preserve.  The traffic is minimal, often not meeting another car the entire way.   

Today I drove further west, doing a hike that took me on part of the Continental Divide Trail.  It was wonderful.  Only me and some very spectacular scenery.  After that, continuing down Route 35,  I soaked at the Gila River Hot Springs, $8.00 for a day pass.  I watched four hawks soaring overhead.  I jumped into the Gila River to cool off.   

All this is so much better, and much healthier than crazy taxi.  Taxi is brutal, like doing 10 rounds in a heavyweight boxing match.  Boom! Bang! Biff!  No thank you, folks, no thank you. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment