Friday, April 1, 2016

No, It Doesn't Cost $83.00 To Take A Taxi From Sea-Tac To Downtown---A Very Erroneous TV Telecast

Yesterday afternoon KIRO TV reported that, versus Uber and Lyft rates of $25-27.00 from Sea-Tac Airport to downtown Seattle, a taxi will cost you anywhere from $46-83.00.  And the shocking source for this misinformation, according to the helpful woman I spoke to at KIRO, was Yellow Cab itself.

After speaking to her, I called everyone I know who could have been involved, including the new Las Vegas call center, and so far I have no idea who the KIRO reporter spoke to.  Probably I never will because confusion plus incompetence equals anarchy and chaos, meaning no one will ever take responsibility for damaging our product, which of course hurts the more or less 2000 cabbies driving taxi in Seattle and King County.  Sadly most of them will never know that the erroneous report occurred.  I know because my night driver happened to be watching the news.  Thanks Raymond, I appreciate the information.

I ask you, if you were someone watching that newscast, who would you choose to take you downtown?  Of course the answer is obvious.  The real rates (more or less, given traffic conditions and routes taken) are as follows:

Sea-Tac to:

Pioneer Square (King Street Station):  $40-42.00

Business District (4th & Columbia):  $42-44.00

Downtown Proper (4th & Pike):  $44.-46.00

Belltown (6th & Lenora):  $46.00

The regulated flat-rate from DT  (including all of lower Queen Anne) to Sea-Tac is:

$40.00

And if you were to take a $83.00 cab ride from Sea-Tac north-bound, you would end up either in Montlake Terrance or Edmonds or perhaps even shallow Lynnwood.  In other words, that $83.00 quote is not based upon any functional reality.  Quite simply, someone misspoke.  There is no other answer.  I also wonder about the KIRO reporter responsible for the story.   How could this wide discrepancy in fares go unnoticed? Had the reporter just moved to Seattle last week, having no understanding of set municipal borders?  Very puzzling.   Just how could there be a $37.00 differential in fares from one end of downtown to the other, over a total distance of one more or less mile?  Not possible has be the logical response.

Anyway,the damage has been done.  I've asked KIRO to do a retraction.  We will see, is all I can say. When I contacted the Las Vegas call center, an irritated "supervisor" connected me  to a number and I left a message for who I have no idea.  Ain't taxi fun!?   Ha Ha Ha!

And PS:  Yesterday someone connected to Lyft left a comment upon my blog offering discounts.  I guess I am glad someone has a sense of humor.  I thought I was being monitored.  Now I know it.  BIG UBER & LYFT are watching!   Is this anything like "1984?"




2 comments:

  1. Lower QA is not $40.00, the flat rate starts the south side of Broad St., then goes to Mercer, they meet (or used to meet) at approx. Aurora AV. N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lower QA is not $40.00, the flat rate starts the south side of Broad St., then goes to Mercer, they meet (or used to meet) at approx. Aurora AV. N.

    ReplyDelete